Friday, September 30, 2011
It's my blog and I'll rant if I want to...
Recently there has been a lot of talk in my life about breastfeeding. To top it off, I read this article about taking the free formula samples out of hospitals because it undermines breastfeeding. Let me make one thing clear before I start: I am an advocate for breastfeeding. I breastfed both of my girls. There is no arguing that breastmilk is best. Now, with that said, get off of your high horses you damn extremists! First of all, breastfeeding doesn't come naturally or easily to all women. Sometimes women don't have the time or determination to stick with it. Secondly, some moms have to return to working 6 weeks post partum and don't have the oppertunity to pump at work. Not everyone has a boss willing to give a mom a place or the time to pump. Finally, as a woman, I take great offense to ANYONE telling me what I have to or should do with my body and my baby. Providing a few tiny formula samples at the hospital would in no way convice a mother committed to breastfeeding to 'switch' to formula. That's like saying the free diapers could sway cloth diapering mothers to switch. Or the free bars of soap in the bathroom would pressure you to quit using your luxury shower gel. Get a grip people. My second born, Ava, was a stubborn feeder. My milk supply never came in strong and I struggled everyday to keep it up. I pumped my butt off. I saw a lactation consultant on several occasions. I was advised to supplement with a little formula in order to give myself time to pump and increase my supply. After 6 months I made the choice to switch to formula. I shouldn't be subjected to the glares and rolling eyes when in a restaurant I pull out my powder and mix a bottle. I have read study upon study that states breastmilk is most necessary in the first few weeks and it's 'medicinal' benefits dwindle by the sixth month. Beyond that, it is only a bonding/money saving tool. If i want to throw my money away on overpriced formula, let me be. I have a perfectly healthy 18month old who has had but one ear infection and no other sicknesses or diseases... period. Get off of your high horses. Let mothers be. Stop taking away women's right to choose. I commend the women who breastfeed for the first 11-12 months. It's amazing! It didn't work that way for me. Am I any less of a mother? Let's be appreciative that companies are still willing to 'give' stuff away. If there is something in that free bag that you don't want leave it behind for the next mommy or donate it. Let's stop judging each other and support one another. Being a mom is hard freakin work. It takes a village to raise great kids. I stand behind any mommy, no matter what her feeding preference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment